2007年7月20日 星期五

Dictionary!


During this trip of course I brought my electronic dictionary to New Zealand. However, I was very surprised when I saw other students (ex: from South America and Europe) they still carry the presswork dictionary.
I still remember one young Argentinian girl asked me on her first school day : "Why everyone has a small computer?" She is 19 years old and she has never seen an electronic dictionary before! That's why she thought they were small computers!
.
One teacher explained that an electronic dictionary is only popular within East Asia. The "translator" is rare in South America and Europe.
.

But I think regarding learning English there is still has a little bit of difference between East Asian and South American/European. Asians are more difficult. Most of the people from South America they speak Spanish, Spanish uses "ABCDEF" I am not sure of every European language, however I believe mostly they use "ABCDEF" as well.
.
On the other hand, East Asian systems mostly have their own characters. For instance, Chinese character【漢字】the system is totally different from ABCDEF. So maybe that is the reason we need a more functional device such as an electronic dictionary to translate faster.
.
Hey hey, next time during a short trip I may bring the dictionary "book" out, and see what's will going on?! (I can imagine people call me a "nut")

沒有留言: